Our accreditation status
The CUNY School of Medicine is Granted by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) with Full Accreditation
The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accredits all new and existing medical education programs in the U.S. and Canada. It is jointly sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges and the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association.
You can learn more about the LCME here:
In June 2023, The CUNY School of Medicine (CUNY Med) at The City University of New York was granted full accreditation. Dean Carmen Renée Green, MD, proudly shared this achievement with the entire CUNY Med community saying, “I would like to congratulate everyone involved in the accreditation process, as this is truly a team effort. I thank every individual who provided guidance to our team during each stage of the accreditation process and express my gratitude to the dedicated faculty, staff, students, clinical partners, donors, and alumni for their support.”
Please click here for Dean Green’s full announcement
You can also find CUNY Med listed on the LCME website of accredited schools:
Details of the LCME accreditation standards are described below:
- Satisfactory, meaning the policy, process, resource, or system required by the element is in place and, if required, there is sufficient evidence that it is effective.
- Satisfactory with a Need for Monitoring, meaning: 1) The policy, process, resource, or system required by the element exists but there is, as yet, insufficient evidence of sustainability and/or effectiveness; or 2) The requirements of the element currently are met but current or anticipated circumstances could impact future performance, or
- Unsatisfactory, meaning one or more aspects of the element is/are not met.
Thank you to all of our LCME student champions, student government representatives, members of the LCME workgroup and CQI committees as well as other student volunteers for the hard work you have done as we head into the final stage of achieving Full Accreditation.
You have been an integral part of our many improvements in the areas of student research opportunities; personal counseling and wellness programs; study space; integration and coordination of our basic sciences curriculum, and career advising. We will continue to seek student input and message our improvements to the school community.
As we come to the end of 2023, we want to congratulate you on your continued academic successes.
CUNY School of Medicine LCME team
See below for some updates on things that you asked for and we accomplished:
We made it a two-semester course starting in fall 2022.
We moved anatomy into the organ systems modules.
The school pays for students to have a subscription for both step 1 and step 2.
We set up mock interviews for every student.
We are working towards having study rooms that are accessible 24/7. Students have been given access cards.
We are establishing an on-campus student counseling service to complement the current off-campus counseling offerings supported by the college. Students who are able to benefit from briefer care will be able to be seen on campus either in person or virtually. Students requiring longer-term care will be able to continue being seen through our off-campus clinicians. This should dramatically reduce waiting times for appointments and allow for more active psychoeducation and other wellness activities to be provided on campus.
- Weekly emails about research opportunities are sent
- Link on the Research website outlining opportunities
- Formal linkages with medical schools and affiliate clinical sites in NYC as well as nationally have been established
- A structured application format for all opportunities has been established
- Monetary support for research internships (experiences?) inclusive of external sites has been secured
- Weekly one-on-one sessions with Drs. Lisa Coico and Maria Lima are available to align student research interests with internal or external opportunities
- Links to plug and play (or boilerplate) research CV and instructions on how to email investigators have been added to the research website
- Research will be part of the pre-matriculation program
- U1 Research Elective